The Lowdown: Review policy & guidelines
Our community guidelines are designed to help make The Lowdown one of the most trusted sites about contraception on the internet.
If you find a review on The Lowdown that you think breaks these guidelines then please report it by tapping on the ‘Report’ button next to the review. We will ask for your name, email address and a reason why you are reporting it. We will email you to let you know the outcome.
Find out more information on how to write a helpful review here.
- We believe in the principle of anonymity and free speech – everyone has a right to voice his or her opinion and be heard without fear of retribution, censorship or other unwanted attention.
- We never edit or alter the text of reviews or comments submitted on our site, no matter how minor.
- We never suppress, filter, or delete content simply because it is negative or positive.
- We try to moderate every piece of content through an automated and manual moderation process to make sure it meets our guidelines.
When we remove reviews
Because we believe in promoting personal experiences, we do not take the decision to remove a review from The Lowdown lightly.
- We remove content if we have evidence that users were incentivised to or coerced into leaving the content.
- We remove reviews if we think you have written it on behalf of someone else.
- We remove content if it includes negative comments about identifiable individuals.
- We realise talking about contraception can get emotionally charged, but we don’t approve reviews that include certain profanities, threats of violence, or discriminatory language targeted at an individual or group. We may allow reviews that mention race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and the like if we believe the comment is helping to describe your experience of contraception.
- We do not accept reviews that reveal confidential, non-public internal company or pharmaceutical company information. We consider this to include: source code, customer lists, manufacturing techniques, R&D activities, budgets, detailed financial results and technical know-how.
- We reject reviews that do not relate to contraception, or are not relevant to sexual or reproductive health.
- We will reject any content meant as an advertisement or containing a web link.
- To safeguard your privacy, we do not allow you to identify yourself or include any contact information (about yourself or others) in your posts.
- All reviews should be original – no substantial quoted material from other sources, including (but not limited to) websites, e-mail correspondence, other reviews, etc.
Changes to this policy
We reserve the right to change this Review Policy & guidelines from time to time as we see fit, and your continued use of the site will signify your acceptance of any adjustment to these terms.
If you have a question or comment for us about this policy, please contact us.