Given the personal nature of the reviews on our site we take privacy at The Lowdown very seriously.
We believe in collecting and processing the minimum amount of data from you to create The Lowdown experience. There is no way someone could identify who are – like find out your name or contact details – from reading your review. Should you decide to give us your email address, we will never display this to other users without your permission.
The Lowdown is owned by Get The Lowdown Ltd. Our registered office is at 120 Arlington Lodge, London, SW2 1RF. If you have any questions for us, you can contact us at email@example.com.
The Information you give us
When you submit a review, we collect the following mandatory information:
- The type, and where relevant brand, of contraception you are reviewing
- The length of time you’ve used a contraception
- Whether you felt any side effects – and if so, their severity
- Whether or how much it impacted your moods and emotions, weight, periods and sex drive
- How satisfied you are or were with this contraception
- Your age and gender
We will also ask you for your weight, height and email address – but you don’t have to tell us this if you don’t want to.
After your review has been submitted, we will ask if you want to send a friend a link to The Lowdown. When we do this we will ask for your name (so they know who has sent the message) and your friend’s email address.
Information we collect automatically
When you come to theldown.com your device will automatically send us information such as:
- Your IP address (please note we will only use this to determine the country and region that you are in, we will never use it to try and find out your address or specific location)
- What device you’re using
- Your interactions with our site – such as where you came from before you came to the site, how many pages you viewed, what you’ve clicked on, and where you are located (if you have enabled access to your location on your mobile device).
How we use this data
Reviews are integral to The Lowdown, and we will use the data you give us and the data we collect automatically to create and improve The Lowdown experience:
- We will use this data to moderate and then display your review to users of the site. You can see how we display a review to other users here.
- We will use this data to create aggregated anonymised reports on all the reviews for one type or brand of contraception. These graphs and charts will be displayed for other users of The Lowdown to view on the site. You can see what these reports look like on our product pages here.
- We will use data like Cookies, interaction and IP data to remember you if you come back to The Lowdown, personalise your settings, and to analyse trends and website usage using Google Analytics.
- We will use your data to send you email communications if you provide your email address and subscribe to them. You can unsubscribe to these at any time.
- We may share aggregated anonymised review data with data scientists, research bodies and medical experts that The Lowdown works with in order to help us analyse and understand what the review data is telling us. Any trends and findings will be published on The Lowdown website and via our social media channels.
- We may need to share aggregated anonymised review data with the media, public health authorities or research bodies, if it becomes clear that there is a reason of public interest to do so. For example, if we receive a large number of reviews that report potentially life threatening issues or side effects from one type of contraception – then we will want to make sure that this data is shared with organisations that can help investigate, regulate and rectify the issue.
- We may need to share data with a legal body in order to be compliant or respond to a court order.
There are several lawful bases available for collecting this data – in general we collect this data on the basis of consent – you agree to give this data to us when you submit a review, or when you visit theldown.com. You have a right to withdraw this consent at any time – see ‘Your data rights’ section below.
How long we keep your data for
Reviews are an integral part of The Lowdown; we will keep the data you provide us in a reviews indefinitely, so we can display reviews to other users and build up a statistically viable dataset to create aggregated reports.
We will delete an email addresses that has not been ‘active’ seven years after it was submitted. We define ‘active’ as having opened an email from The Lowdown.
Who we share your data with
We won’t sell your personal information.
As outlined above, we may need to share aggregated anonymised review data with the media, public health authorities or research bodies, if it becomes clear that there is a reason of public interest to do so, or it is required by law.
We may have to share your information in response to legal process, we’ll give you advance notice so you can challenge it (for example by seeking court intervention), unless we’re prohibited from doing so by law or court order.
We don’t currently have advertising on The Lowdown, and we won’t use your data to provide interest based or contextual advertising to you on our website, from us or third parties. If we do this, we will notify you by updating this policy.
How we keep your data safe
We use security software to ensure that any of the data you give us, or that we collect automatically, is kept safe. However, no company (not even the MI5) can fully eliminate security risks, so unfortunately we cannot make guarantees.
If anything happens to your data we promise to notify you via email (if you have given it to us) or by posting a message on our website.
Your data rights (let’s talk about GDPR)
- You can contact us to access copies, correct, transfer, update or request deletion of your personal information.
- You can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information.
- You can withdraw your consent to us collecting and processing your personal information at any time.
You can do any of the above at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
You have the right to complain to a data protection authority or the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data. For more information please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Emails we send
We all hate spam, so at The Lowdown we promise never to inundate you with annoying emails.
If you give us your email address we will add you to our mailing list. You can opt-out of the marketing emails we send you at any time by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in the footer.
We will also send you service-related announcements when we believe it is necessary to do so. For example, if it becomes clear that there is critical new information or results about a type of contraception you have reviewed. Generally, you cannot opt-out of these announcements – but if they are bothering you, please contact us at email@example.com and we will make sure you stop receiving them.
Changes to this Policy
The Lowdown may periodically update this policy. We’ll notify you about significant changes to it. The most current version of the policy will always be here and we will archive former versions of the policy.
If we make a change that we believe materially changes your rights or increases your responsibilities, we will send you an email or post a notice on our website.
We welcome questions, concerns, and feedback about this policy. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org