Given the personal nature of the reviews and data we collect in order to provide Prescriptions, we take privacy at The Lowdown very seriously.
We believe in collecting and processing the minimum amount of data from you to create The Lowdown experience. There is no way someone could identify who you are – like find out your name or contact details – from reading your review or viewing your profile. Should you decide to give us your email address, we will never display this to other users without your permission.
The Lowdown is owned by Get The Lowdown Ltd. Our registered office is at 120 Arlington Lodge, London, SW2 1RF. If you have any questions for us, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Information you give us
When you use our website or app, we may collect the following information from you in order to provide our service:
Information about you
This may include your email address, age, gender, weight and height
Information about your medical history
When you fill in our medical questionnaire in order to obtain a contraceptive prescription, you will be asked to provide us with details of your medical history – including blood pressure readings, allergies, prescriptions or a history of conditions in your family.
If you provide family medical history to us, we ask that you respect your family’s privacy by only not including superfluous information such as their name, address or contact details. We will not have their contact details in order to provide them with a privacy notice, but if they have questions, you can tell them to get in touch with us.
Information about your contraception
You may tell us the type, and where relevant brand, of contraception you have used or are using, and the length of time you have used it for
Side effects and symptoms
You may tell us whether you felt any side effects from your contraception – and if so, their severity – for example whether or how much it impacted your moods and emotions, weight, periods and sex drive. You may also tell us how satisfied you are or were with this contraception
Delivery and payment information
If you are paying for a contraceptive prescription, you will provide us with your contact details, delivery address,
We will collect details of transactions you carry out through The Lowdown and of the fulfilment of your orders.
You may respond to a survey where we ask you about your experiences with contraception or The Lowdown and its products
Refer a friend information
We may ask if you want to send a friend a link to The Lowdown. When we do this we will ask for your name (so they know who has sent the message) and your friend’s email address.
Customer service notes
We will collect information on any contacts you make with our customer service team or Live Chat service – the reason why you contacted us and how we rectified the issue
Information we collect automatically
When you come to theldown.com or use our app your device will automatically send us information such as:
● Your IP address (please note we will only use this to determine the country and region that you are in, we will never use it to try and find out your address or specific location)
● What device you’re using
● Your interactions with our website or apps – such as where you came from before you came to the site, how many pages you viewed, what you’ve clicked on, and where you are located (if you have enabled access to your location on your mobile device).
How we use this data
Contraception review and tracking data:
Reviews are integral to The Lowdown, and we will use the data you give us and the data we collect automatically to create and improve The Lowdown experience:
● We will use this data to moderate and then display your review to users of the site. You can see how we display a review to other users here.
● We will use this data to create aggregated anonymised reports on all the reviews for one type or brand of contraception. These graphs and charts will be displayed for other users of The Lowdown to view on the site. You can see what these reports look like on our product pages here.
● We will use data like Cookies, interaction and IP data to remember you if you come back to The Lowdown, personalise your settings, and to analyse trends and website usage using Google Analytics.
● We will use your data to send you email communications if you provide your email address and subscribe to them. You can unsubscribe to these at any time.
● We may share aggregated anonymised review data with data scientists, research bodies and medical experts that The Lowdown works with in order to help us analyse and understand what the review data is telling us. Any trends and findings will be published on The Lowdown website and via our social media channels.
● We may share aggregated anonymised review data with the media, public health authorities or research bodies, in order to promote our findings and improve standards in women’s healthcare. We will also do this if it becomes clear that there is a reason of public interest to do so. For example, if we receive a large number of reviews that report potentially life threatening issues or side effects from one type of contraception – then we will want to make sure that this data is shared with organisations that can help investigate, regulate and rectify the issue.
Contraceptive prescription data:
Should you wish to purchase a contraception prescription through The Lowdown, we will use the data you provide us with in order to verify, prescribe, fulfil a contract and deliver the contraceptive medicines to you.
We work with our registered pharmacy provider Truepill Limited to provide this prescription service – and pass the information we collect from you in the prescription medical questionnaire to Truepill via their secure Questionnaire API.
● Truepill’s Pharmacists will use this data to create a Consultation on their Prescriber Dashboard.
● In this Consultation process, Truepill’s Pharmacists will review the data you have provided in the medical questionnaire in order to understand your contraceptive requirements and medical history, and decide whether to accept or decline your prescription request.
● Truepill’s Pharmacists will use this data to contact you using the contact details you provide us with, should they need to obtain additional information regarding your prescription request or medical history
● If your prescription request is approved, Truepill will use the data you provide us with in order to submit your prescription to their third-party Pharmacy so they can dispense and dispatch the medication to the address you provided us with.
● If as part of the medical questionnaire you request for us to share your prescription request with your GP, Truepill will process this request and send a letter to your GP surgery to inform them.
Other ways we may use your data:
● We may need to share data with a legal body in order to be compliant or respond to a court order.
● To comply with any court order, law, legal process or request, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
● If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of The Lowdown, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
There are several lawful bases available for collecting this data – in general we collect this data on the basis of consent – you agree to give this data to us when you submit a review, or when you visit theldown.com. You have a right to withdraw this consent at any time – see ‘Your data rights’ section below.
How long we keep your data for
Reviews are an integral part of The Lowdown; we will keep the data you provide us in a reviews indefinitely, so we can display reviews to other users and build up a statistically viable dataset to create aggregated reports.
We will delete an email addresses that has not been ‘active’ seven years after it was submitted. We define ‘active’ as having opened an email from The Lowdown.
Any clinical information you provide us in order to receive a prescription from us will be deleted in accordance with applicable law and the Records Management Code of Practice for Health and Social Care, or equivalent.
Who we share your data with
We won’t sell your personal information.
As outlined above:
● In order to fulfil your prescriptions and offer our contraceptive services, we share your data with our registered Pharmacy provider Truepill
● We may share aggregated anonymised review data with the media, public health authorities or research bodies in order to promote our findings and improve standards in women’s healthcare.
● We may have to share your information in response to legal process, we’ll give you advance notice so you can challenge it (for example by seeking court intervention), unless we’re prohibited from doing so by law or court order.
We don’t currently have advertising on The Lowdown, and we won’t use your data to provide interest based or contextual advertising to you on our website, from us or third parties. If we do this, we will notify you by updating this policy.
How we keep your data safe
We use security software to ensure that any of the data you give us, or that we collect automatically, is kept safe. However, no company (not even the MI5) can fully eliminate security risks, so unfortunately we cannot make guarantees.
Our Pharmacy partner Truepill takes the security of information very seriously and has established security standards and procedures to prevent unauthorized access to patient information. They maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to comply with applicable standards to guard health information, including storing all information you provide to us on secure servers behind firewalls.
If anything happens to your data we promise to notify you via email (if you have given it to us) or by posting a message on our website.
Your data rights (let’s talk about GDPR)
● You can contact us to access copies, correct, transfer, update or request deletion of your personal information.
● You can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information.
● You can withdraw your consent to us collecting and processing your personal information at any time.
You can do any of the above at any time by emailing us at email@example.com. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
You have the right to complain to a data protection authority or the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data. For more information please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Emails we send
We all hate spam, so at The Lowdown we promise never to inundate you with annoying emails.
If you give us your email address we will add you to our mailing list. You can opt-out of the marketing emails we send you at any time by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in the footer.
We will also send you service-related announcements when we believe it is necessary to do so. For example, if it becomes clear that there is critical new information or results about a type of contraception you have reviewed. Generally, you cannot opt-out of these announcements – but if they are bothering you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make sure you stop receiving them.
Changes to this Policy
The Lowdown may periodically update this policy. We’ll notify you about significant changes to it. The most current version of the policy will always be here and we will archive former versions of the policy.
If we make a change that we believe materially changes your rights or increases your responsibilities, we will send you an email or post a notice on our website.
We welcome questions, concerns, and feedback about this policy. Please contact us at email@example.com