The Lowdown’s Content & Editorial Policy
This policy will take effect from December 2020. We are in the process of reviewing all content published prior to this date to ensure it meets the standards set out in this policy.
Who we are
- The Lowdown is committed to excellent standards in the provision of our content including our website pages, blog, social media and related apps, tools and services.
- We are motivated by our mission to transform women’s health, and provide the data, community and content to create a world-class resource to help women make better informed health decisions.
- The Lowdown is self-funded by our founders and venture capital investors like Entrepreneur First, who have no ties or allegiance to pharmaceutical companies or their affiliated businesses.
The content we create
We aim to provide visitors to The Lowdown with access to trustworthy content that is accurate, balanced, transparent and clearly presented.
Contraception reviews are freely left by visitors to the website. These are treated as empirical data and not gathered as part of a regulated scientific study. We will highlight this when sharing this data, either in review format or as aggregate data.
The information presented about contraceptives in our website and app is taken from the manufacturer’s Patient Information Leaflets. We review this information regularly to ensure it’s up to date.
The majority of The Lowdown’s blog content is authored and edited by our team of in-house writers and editors. The biographies of our in-house team are available to view on our ‘About page’.
The Lowdown’s posts, stories and tweets are researched, written and designed by our team of in-house writers and designers. The biographies of our in-house team are available to view on our ‘About page’.
How we produce and review content
- Clinically relevant content will be reviewed by one of our doctors for accuracy and balance and to ensure it reflects the current evidence base, recognised UK guidelines and/or best clinical practice.
- However, The Lowdown should be used for informational purposes only and should not substitute seeking personalised medical advice from an appropriately qualified medical professional.
- To ensure transparency and up to date information in our content we will endeavour to reference and, if appropriate, include hyperlinks to sources of medical information. We have no control over, and therefore cannot assume responsibility for, the content or general practices of any of these third party sites and/or services. The display of any hyperlink and reference to any third party website does not mean that we endorse that third party’s website, products or services. Use of a third party site may be governed by the terms and conditions of that third party site.
- Guest writers who freely submit or are commissioned to produce content for The Lowdown will also agree to have a short biography published alongside their article. This should include any potential conflicts of interest. Content produced by guest writers will also be subject to our content and editorial processes as detailed here, prior to consideration for publication.